On my first-day-of-school survey, I asked my 8th graders:
If you could write about anything this year, what would it be?
Their answers remind me why it’s so valuable to give students choice in their writing. I never would have guessed they would want to write about so many interesting topics. Here are some of their plans:
I would write about…
- a kid who is anxious about the future.
- equal treatment for everyone. Or mental health.
- social difficulties and internal conflicts in the modern times because I can easily relate.
- my dog because he’s really goofy.
Photo by Justin Veenema on Unsplash
- an imaginary island.
- people who are stuck in the wilderness, like in Hatchet.
- a realistic fiction novel
(NOTE FROM THE TEACHER: WHAT 8TH GRADER SAYS THEY WANT TO WRITE A NOVEL?!? Must be an 8th grader who knows she will be a NaNoWriMo novelist this year!)
View original post 319 more words